Our eyes are one of the most sensitive organs which are easily irritated from the slightest disturbance and are first to ‘show’ any strain or stress you could be undergoing! No wonder…Shakespeare famously quoted, “The Eyes are the window to your soul”! Also, frequent use of makeup and eye products especially in women makes their eyes prone to eye swelling.
Due to these reasons, the skin around the eyes is also quite sensitive and ‘reactive’ to foreign material. Have you recently experienced puffy and red eyes? If yes, then you must be aware of how annoying and bothersome it can get. Then, all you want to do is get rid of the situation as soon as possible. However, needless to say …you must be extra careful to ensure the safety of your eyes!
Here are 5 natural do-it-yourself recipes that work as eye soothers and solutions to your irritated eye problems. These recipes are easy to follow, effective and affordable.
1. Cucumber Slices
Have you ever wondered why images displayed at spas have women lying on the beach with cucumber slices on their eyes? What could be the relation between the two?
Well cucumbers have vitamin C and caffeic acid which gives it astringent properties. It helps in soothing your eyes and treats eye inflammation as well.
All you have to do is:
- Cut a cucumber into slices
- Refrigerate these slices or put them in an ice bowl for 10-15 minutes
- Put these cold cucumber slices on your closed eyes for a cool and soothing effect
2. Rose Water
One of the common eye-soothers – rose water is not only effective in reducing eye redness and puffiness but it refreshes your skin as well. It has been proven to provide immediate relief.
- Dip a cotton ball in rose water
- Place it over your eyes for 5 minutes
3. Cooled Spoons
The cold metal spoons help in temporarily reducing redness and irritation. The process helps in relaxing your blood vessels.
- Take any 2 or 4 spoons preferably teaspoons
- Chill them in the refrigerator
- Once they are chilled, take them out
- Place the reverse side of these spoons on each one of your eyes.
4. Chilled Tea Bags
Cooled tea bags are anti-inflammatory and contain bioflavonoids. They relax your blood vessels and ease your swollen and puffy eyes. You have a variety of these tea bags to choose from.
The most effective ones are with chamomile, green or black tea. Chamomile consists of natural anti-inflammatory properties; the other two in addition to caffeine have a compound called Tannins that reduces swelling.
- Select any 2 teabags of your choice
- Place these teabags in boiling water for 3-5 minutes
- Take out of the hot water and cool them in the refrigerator
- Place these teabags on your puffy eyes for 15 minutes
5. Aloe Vera
Aloe Vera is famous for providing relief to burning and swollen skin. Its gel and juice have healing as well as soothing properties.
- Squeeze Aloe Vera Gel on to a tissue paper
- Wipe it all over the irritated area
- Use Chilled Aloe Vera Juice and Mix with cold water
- Take a cotton ball, soak it in the above mixture
- Place it over your eyes
With these 5 do-it-yourself eye soothers, you can reduce most of the inflammation and puffiness of your eyes. In case of persistent pain and irritation that is unbearable, it is recommended that you consult your eye-specialist, without delay!